Who to contact

Note: Newer information on this topic is available on the Get Ready website page - Who does what.

New Zealand Map


The primary responsibility for civil defence emergency management (CDEM) at a local level rests with your local council. Local and regional councils work with emergency services (Police, Fire, Ambulance) and other relevant agencies to plan for, and respond to disaster events.

CDEM Groups are a consortium of local authorities and agencies in each region and they have a responsibility to plan for, and manage regional hazards and risks. 

Contact the civil defence emergency management (CDEM) office at your nearest local council for information on local hazards and community response arrangements. 

During a disaster event telephone lines need to be kept clear for emergency calls to get through so please avoid making calls unless absolutely urgent. 

If life or property is threatened always dial 111 for Police, Fire or Ambulance.

Local civil defence groups